Thursday, December 18, 2008

An Exam Tragedy

People's concerns about exam scores often reach the point of obsession. And often, it is only when we reach tragic extremes that we realize how incompetent we've been as parents, teachers, and administrators in helping our children keep the matter of testing in perspective.

Today I found this short article that I wrote last year about a school where I did a workshop. I never published it, and in fact had completely forgotten about it. As I reread it, I suddenly recalled reading a recent, horrible news story about the school and shuddered. Please read through till the end:
I had an interesting experience today. I did a workshop for 50 teachers in a school in the NCR area. The institute is reputed for its student performance, with many children scoring very high marks on 10th and 12th class board exams. My workshop focused on my “The Laws of Learning”. Everyone was having a great time, especially when I was talking about the need to engage learners’ emotions. I gave examples of how you can use poetry or music the science class to teach the topic of “matter”.

However, one of the teachers stood up, and commented, “We’re not allowed to sing in our classrooms.” I looked at her with utter disbelief. “Really?” I asked. “Is it a rule?” (I thought she was exaggerating.) But other teachers were quick to validate her statement. They claimed, “No, no, our principle won’t allow it.” Though I still remained somewhat baffled, and not wanting to challenge an official order that they had been given, I got them to agree that it was still possible to do a science-related poem.

A short while later, I had them perform a few cooperative activities. They were completely engaged in interacting with each other, but after the activity finished, again came another dismissal. “Mr. Rudolph, I agree that these activities are beneficial for our students, however our principal would never allow it. They make too much noise.” Another teacher added, “Our principal demands pin-drop silence.” Then the complaints came like torrents of rain:

"Our principal wants only that our children get high marks on exams."
" Yes, by hook or by crook."
"He even demands that we beat them."
"The principal should be here in this training."
"Mr. Rudolph, you should make him agree to let us do these types of activities."

I must admit that I was in a bit of an awkward position. However, I encouraged them to do their best, and at least agree that they would give these new ideas a try—which they agreed to.
Many times parents and principals are quick to blame teachers for their lack of interest in teaching. But we need to realize that without the support of parents and principals, even those teachers who are interested to innovate and work with new methods are completely stifled. We have to stop pointing our fingers at each other, and instead, put the children at the center of the educational experience, and figure out what it is that we can all do to create the most creative learning environments for them.
The news item I recalled was from some months back. It reported that a student from this school committed suicide after receiving low exam marks.

When will we realize we've gone too far with our obsession with exams?
There are other aspects to life and lifeskills that are equally--if not more important. Had that girl, her parents, her teachers, and the principal realized so, she would still be alive today.

No comments: