Sunday, November 16, 2008

My Morning Session with Students

Just about every morning, I start the day at Jiva Public School with a student interaction session from 8-8:30am. This is what it looks like across my desk.




Because I don't teach regular classes, this is a way for me to stay connected with kids. I have a lot of fun talking with them about all sorts of topics. I usually let them pick the topic--today, these three 5th graders picked "careers" (not surprising, as this has been a hot topic at Jiva recently). And so we talked about Multiple Intelligences and Multiple Natures and different job types that require strengths of different types. I was impressed with how curious and articulate they were--we really had a lot of fun and 30 minutes just went like that.

2 comments:

Francine Hardaway, Ph.D said...

Makes me want to come to India and teach kids for a couple of years:-) It looks so wonderful.

Steven Rudolph said...

It's not just meaningful--it's therapeutic. Give me anyone with stress, anxiety, whatever, and I guarantee that after 30 minutes with these little guys they'll become naturally high.

In fact, we have had a few patients at the Jiva Clinic to whom we "prescribed" teaching! You should have seen the results.

Unfortunately our modern world has to a great degree lost the holistic, inter-generational experience that used to exist in communities--where older individuals regularly interact with the younger ones and engage in the transfer of knowledge, values, etc.

This trend toward re-integration is something that is really important to us, and will become even stronger as we get the new Jiva Hodal project running.

Your teaching position has been reserved. We've got lots of kids eagerly kids awaitin'.