Saturday, November 1, 2008

Breakfast Brainfood

I get about 50 queries on average per day from both parents and children about problems related to learning. Though I haven't done a formal analysis, I would say that about 75% of the questions deal with memory and concentration. There are many reasons why people are unable to focus or retain what they study, and my responses include an array of suggestions and techniques such as creating timetables, revising newly learned information within 24 hours, studying in the same place at the same time, removing distractions while studying, and so on.

Another tip I share with them is the power food has on the brain. Apart from the general "healthy diet" stuff, my best secret is the super brain boosting 1-2 knockout punch. Milk and Chyawanprash (my morning dose pictured above).

Milk contains a host of good stuff, including Thiamine (a B-vitamin) that is essential for cognitive function. It also contains a chemical called "calpain", which is like a dental floss for your brain. Calpain goes into the synapses (the spaces between neurons), and cleans out the plaque there. This enables your brain cells to communicate more quickly and efficiently, making you more alert and more capable of picking up new information.

Chywanprash (pronounced CHOW-IN-PRASH), is an age-old Indian tonic made from Indian Gooseberry (a fruit that contains 400 times more vitamin C than an orange) and over 50 different herbs. This sweet, brown sticky jam can be found in just about every Indian home. And while mothers often insist on their kids eating it as an immunity enhancer (especially in winters), most don't realize its power on boosting brain power.

Vitamin C is an antioxidant (a chemical that bonds with free floating oxygen molecules that destroy healthy cells), which is known for its role in memory retention. In addition, the combination of herbs in Chyawanprash relax the central nervous system and strengthen receptor activity associated with memory and concentration.

And this special brain food is not just for kids. It is also beneficial for seniors who are interested in keeping their gray-matter fit!

Jiva's Chyawanprash is the best I've tasted. (Of course I'm biased, but I've done taste tests, and I'm really partial to ours.). Whatever the case, just make sure you make both Chyawanprash and milk a part of your family's regular diet to keep everyone's body and mind at their best.

1 comment:

Francine Hardaway, Ph.D said...

Can't "stomach" milk, but I'm up for the jam! I expect to bring it back from India with me:-)